It's been a long day as you can imagine. They took Hadley back to surgery at 8:00 am. It actually takes quite a while to get all the tubes and lines in, cool her body and put her on bypass and the vent. They started by moving her coronary arteries which apparently takes a lot of stitching and a LONG time. Then they switched her aorta and pulmonary artery and the two holes in her heart (the one she was born with and the one they made with the heart cath). They got it all repaired.
But...
The right side of Hadley's heart was not functioning so the surgeon chose to put her on life support. The heart/lung machine is doing all the work right now so her heart can rest. He explained that this is not routine but not unheard of either. He was surprised that Hadley needed it. He did tell us that he is optimistic that she can be off of it in a few days. We are hanging onto those words. OPTIMISTIC....... we are trying to be optimistic too.
She doesn't look like our baby. She had a lot of fluids during the surgery which have made her very swollen. She has tubes and lines everywhere. We can touch the top of her head because that is about the only inch of her without something hooked to it. Her chest is still open but bandaged but that is routine.
So we wait, pray, wait, pray, etc.
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. The report seemed dire at one point today but then to hear "optimistic" from the surgeon confirmed the power of prayer.
Pray that Hadley's heart will get the rest it needs and the right side will be able to work on it' s own and we will be off life support in the next few days.
I know may of you know our older children or have children of your own who attend school with them. We have only told Averi, Kaden and Kinley that Hadley's heart is fixed and she is recovering. We would appreciate you being careful if you discuss Hadley with your children and others as we don't want especially Averi to extra worries during this time. Thanks.
Hanni
10 comments:
Oh Hanni...my heart breaks for you as I know this is not the news you wanted to hear. But, we know that God hears our prayers and does heal babies' hearts. We will pray that she is off ECMO soon and her precious little heart will begin working properly. We pray peace and rest for you tonight.
We continue to send our thoughts and prayers your way. May these next two days allow her heart to rest and recover. Allow yourself to stay rested and strong so you can be there for her too. Jamie, Tim and Jackson Akin
Hanni,
I don't know you real well but I keep telling Hollie that I feel like I do because of her and Karen. Praying for your sweet sweet baby girl! I was talking with my husband about what is going on and my kindergarten son wanted to help pray. Stay strong and know that there is a whole lot of people praying. Looking forward to the testimony that will come out of Hadley's surgery. Take care!
Christel Bartley
Hanni, we continue to pray for you and Brent and the family as well as little Hadley. You have quite a prayer team holding you all up. We all stand with you and look forward to her conplete healing and the opportunity to meet her face to face. We love you.
I am praying for you all right now-as I am work right now around 1 am. Praying for those nurses and doctors that are watching over her tonight, and also for you for strength and peace during this exhausting and frightful time.
Staci
Hanni and Brent hang in there! God is there holding sweet Hadley! He loves you and Hadley more than you can know. All Elsbernd's are praying for you and know that Hadley will continue to be a miracle in your life. We love you all. Rhonda
Hanni,
I just ran across your blog via a facebook friend and realized I kniw this family!!! You and your sweet little girl will be in my prayers!
Much love, Amy (Reid) Pavlik
Brent & Nanni, My heart goes out to you in this tremendously difficult time! What a roller coaster ordeal all in one day! I was thinking that within the hours the doctor's say you can visit if you could just keep talking and talking to her. That will comfort her so much and when you can't think of what to say anymore maybe you can read to her. She will love the sound of your voice and the touch on the top of her head! Maybe you can squeeze her little foot. She will know you are there!
Did I say Nanni?
Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray.
Bless all the dear children in thy tender care,
And take us to heaven, to live with Thee there.
Third Verse of Away in a Manger
Post a Comment